01 December, 2008

Long Time No See


I told you I wouldn't abandon you and I have. Sure, Thanksgiving just ran it's course and I was with family. Sure, I had to read a 175 page book during that time and dream up some creative for the Burger King project. But what about all the days before Thanksgiving Logan? I hear you asking that question and I've heard you asking since my last post on November 20th! What the heck man! We're approaching two weeks with this dry spell. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm scared. I don't feel adequate. Sure I'm fat, balding, hairy pale and the antithesis of hygenic, but that's not it. I feel inadequate and self conscious about my creativity. Sure, you give me praise and say I've got game. My mom does too and strangely enough, my wife doesn't think I'm fat. I get it, we can all say nice things when we want to make someone feel good. But what if a person really isn't good enough? Not good enough to do what they do best. Worse yet, what if someone IS good enough but doesn't feel like it or recognize it in themselves? How damaging that might be! What glorious potential might be lost from such short sightedness!
So fail not! Don't give up! Exploit your dastardly sub-par talents to their utmost! I think an excerpt from a book report I wrote last night sums up this annoying necessity best:

"The detail and precision with which he tells his stories is painful at times, but so undeniably exhaustive that one must simply marvel. One cannot question a word of this book no matter how amazing it might sound. His telling of the sights, sounds and smells is so thorough that you can almost feel yourself in a crowded political arena; you can smell the perspiration and melting make-up on Nixon’s forehead as Mickelson describes the Nixon-Kennedy debate of 1960 first hand. He murders us mercilessly with exhaustive details to ensure that the reader finds himself at a minimum of 100 pages into the book before realizing he might be bored. What a wonderful journey though. What a wonderful surprise to be sucked into the mind of Mickelson and relive his fascinating personal history with every gory detail and every personal reflective thought and emotion described in painstaking detail. This book is frighteningly descriptive and repetitive detail is poured over the reader ad nauseam. With but one source to fill this work (his own experience and sharp memory) Mickelson does a masterful job of capturing the reader in a wealth of detail, emotion and fact. Fact, emotion and detail that no one will dare refute as they are the personal property of one very lucky and well traveled, Sig Mickelson."

From Whistle Stop To Sound Bite: Four Decades of Politics and Television by Sig Mickelson,
as reviewed by Logan Tanner


No comments: